Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Oh Sheesh, where to start? Part I

7 months of catching up. Sheesh, there is no way.

Synopsis: Adopted a baby boy, became a mother.

Heehee. That was about the shortest catch-up possible. Let me see if I can do this amazing story justice.

Back in January, a guy I work with told me that his niece was pregnant and wanted to find a nice couple to adopt the child. At this point, she was only 3 months along. My first thought was that she would most definitely change her mind, once she was further along and the baby became "real". Brad and I were ready to start a family, but not ready to get my hopes up and have my heart broken. For the next couple of months, the uncle kept "pestering" me. I would always say the same thing, "she's going to change her mind".

Finally, in the end of April, Brad and I decided, "What the hell? Why not at least talk to her?". I was a nervous mess but the uncle kept reassuring me and I made the call. I liked the girl instantly and we arranged to meet. In the meantime, Brad and I got some legal counsel and felt a little more prepared going into it.

We started to see the biological mother weekly and became extremely active in the pregnancy. We went to every single doctor's appointment, and were there when we found out we were having a son. (Those of you who are keeping track, she was then in her 3rd trimester and hadn't been to the doctor yet. Yeah, that was the first thing we insisted upon. Luckily, the pregnancy was going really smoothly and we were fortunate to be part of everything.)

Looking back, things went so smoothly. She never waivered about the adoption. Of course, at the time, we were never 100% sure. They can always always change their mind. We met a lot of her family and they were, for the most part, amazing. They were all in agreeance that the baby needed 2 parents and they felt we were the right people.


OK, little break for pictures and then part II:
These are his "week by week" photos.

0 comments: